Bad breath (or halitosis) is an unpleasant odour which can occur from time to time or be long lasting.
Bad breath is really embarrassing, but it can be easily prevented. The primary cause of bad breath, known as Halitosis by dentists is caused due to bacteria in the mouth. Brushing twice a day or after every meal can reduce bad breath, but there are other causes that can induce bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath is mainly caused by the effect of bacteria in the mouth. Habits like smoking or drinking can also cause bad breath. Especially bacteria living on the back of your tongue acts on the left over food particles resulting in a Sulphur compound which is the main culprit of bad breath. Other causes include:
- Dry Mouth (improper flow of saliva)
- Decayed teeth
- Infection of gums or teeth
Bad breath is not only caused by oral hygiene. Sometimes, it can also be a symptom of other issues in your body and you may be referred to a general practitioner.
- Indigestion or other problems in the stomach
- Conditions like Sinusitis and Bronchitis
- Liver and Kidney issues
How to Avoid Bad Breath
Parramatta Green Dental will provide you special treatment for bad breath. Here are a few tips to avoid bad breath.
- Drink a lot of water (at least 8 litres a day).
- Chew sugar few gum after meals
- Stop smoking and drinking. Try alternatives like nicotine gum instead.
- Eat good quality food.
- Floss your teeth after eating or at least before going to bed
- Rinse your mouth with proper mouth fresheners
- Avoid eating sugary food before going to bed
- Visit your dentist regularly.
After analysing the main cause of bad breath, treatment can be given. However, most bad breath issues can be reduced by improving your oral hygiene and following the given tips. Bad breath can be easily controlled if you visit your dentist as soon as it starts. So, do not wait for it to build up. Parramatta Green Dental is always ready to help. Give us a call and book your appointment today.